Bob Johnson catches fish with his own hand-tied fish flies
Bob Johnson in his room where he ties his fish flies. (Photo by Steve Gooch.)
When avid angler Bob Johnson wets a hook, not many fish get away. They are caught by a special fly….one that Johnson has hand -tied In an upstairs room of his house.
He has fished for trout in 14 states in the U.S.,; Smallmouth Bass in Oklahoma; Steelhead in British Columbia; Searun Brown Trout in Argentina and New Zealand; Silver Salmon in Alaska and Canada; Tarpon and Bonefish in Florida, Bahamas, Belize and Mexico; and Snook and Redfish in Florida and Louisiana.
Johnson’s room in the home where he and his wife Gennie Johnson live, has lots of pictures. There is a great antique desk where he sits with his vise (tool with two jaws that close by a lever or screw to hold an object for tying) and spotlight.
Stuck in the cubbyholes of the desk are colorful feathers and quills and spools of thread. He uses the colors of yellow, purple, teal, red, orange, blue, lime, brown, gray, black and even pink for those wily fish to choose from.
His wife Gennie is a fisherwoman and others he has fished the rivers, mountain streams and salt waters with include the late T. Ray Phillips, Mike Ellis, Phil Walker, Bev and Paul Kanaly, Royce Hammons and Mark Bodehamer, Don Dahlgren, Roy Smith, Bob Browne, Tom Love, Martha and Ron Bradshaw, Susan and Pat Sigmon, Bill Bell, Rob Luke, Jerry Ellis, and fly fishing friends in Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Canada and The Netherlands.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7978Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients