Parties Extra!---December 26, 2008---George W. Bush portrait unveiled
OKLAHOMANS VISIT WASHINGTON
Dr. William Lee Beasley, Sherry Beasley, Alice Dahlgren, Don Dahlgren, Edward Cook, Kaye Cook, Dr. Robert Ellis, Nancy Payne Ellis, Dr. Dodge Hill and Lori Hill in Washington, D.C. (Photo provided).
President George W. Bush unveiled his presidential portrait Dec. 19th for the Smithsonian Institution’s National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. recently. Oklahomans who helped fund the portrait attended the Dec. 19 dedication.
Robert Anderson, a Yale classmate of the president, was the artist.
500 people were at the event where Bush and G. Wayne Clough, secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, pulled a blue cloth off the portrait to reveal a casual pose of Bush.
In The Oklahoman’s article by Chris Casteel, he noted that a group of Oklahoma donors provided about 80 percent of funding for the portrait and associated costs. He also reported that most of the donors made the trip to Washington and met with the president and Laura Bush before the dedication.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 25412Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 15758Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9844UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 8808Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7879Tom Ward out as SandRidge CEO
- 7543Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6502Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6399OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6273Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5958Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients