What shall we name the baby? 20-40-60 answers
Parties Extra!….20-40-60 Question….From a dedicated NewsOk reader.
YOU ASK…WE ANSWER…YOU DECIDE
Question: Our baby is due in the summer months. We have been thinking about names for the baby. What is the protocol for the first born, second born and so on? Should we name the baby with a family name? Or should we just name our baby the best name that we can think of that goes with our last name? Thanks for all your thoughts! Keep up the good work!
Callie’s Answer: Not my department, but that is a tough decision.
Family names are always respectful, and very genuine. Also, choosing a name that will also be passed down from generations is exciting. It is what you and your spouse want to choose for the baby. Choosing a family name might be easier knowing that it already goes with your last name, or have your chosen name and give the family name as the middle name.
Bottom line: it is your decision and your baby.
Lillie-Beth’s Answer: In my opinion, naming a baby is up to the parents. Period. They’re the ones who have to set the tone for the baby’s life that they created (it starts with the name), and they’re the only ones who have to be OK with what the baby is named, at least until the baby is old enough to weigh in.
It’s fun to search the family tree for family names that span generations, and if there are some that stick, then go for it. Family names connect children to their roots, and parents shouldn’t overlook that significance. They’re a good way to honor or remember someone special, too, and using those names is a tradition that dates way back.
However, in the end, it’s up to Mom and Dad to name a child how they see fit. I don’t know of any etiquette requirement in this century for a child to have a family name. The child will grow into the name, and whatever the name is, perhaps someday, their descendants will look up the family tree and use that name for their little one, too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17897Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15383Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11506Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11200'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10732Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9276OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8256Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6910Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6624Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6479Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients