How do I answer the question 'why am I single?' 20-40-60 answers
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
Question: Dear 20-40-60,
I am a woman in her mid-thirties constantly being hassled by why I do not have a boyfriend or am not married.
Usually, I respond by telling people that you can have a fulfilling life still (career, friends, family). However, this only seems to make the other person want to argue their point further that I would be happier with a man in my life. I am tempted to just lie to people about my status. Ha!
Any helpful suggestions on a polite way to handle my response?
Callie’s answer: Yes, your life is still fulfilling but really?? Are you looking for that right person?
If you are, I would just simply say “I just haven’t found someone yet, but for the time being I am enjoying life by being with friends and family! I do have to say I love it for now!”
Being positive is always a better approach then argumentative.
Lillie-Beth’s answer: It probably gets tiring to hear the comments over and over, but can you laugh it off once you’ve explained that you’re happy?
One thing I used to say to deflect people from inquiring more about why a particular, expected stage in life wasn’t happening is “Oh, I’m not worried about it. XXX will happen if it’s supposed to when it’s the right time.” A statement like that doesn’t leave much room for additional comment.
If particular people commit the offense continually, then you’ll probably have to pull them over and tell them how you feel when they say things like that and to please stop. But a lie about your status would only lead to more explaining later, which is the last thing you’d want to do.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7387Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6419Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6218UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients