What about salad plates? 20-40-60 answers
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
QUESTION : When I go to a restaurant and before I am halfway through with my salad, the main course of the meal is brought out.
What, then, do I do with my salad that I am still eating? Move the bowl/plate out of the way? To the right or left? Or keep the bowl/plate in front of me and let the waiter put my main course to the side?
Also, is it still proper to turn an empty glass upside down on the table if I don’t want water? That’s what I was taught as a child.
Callie’s answer: Most waiters or waitresses serve from the left and clear from the right. I would place my salad to the right because I am right- handed, this way I can still eat from my plate. Most waiters or waitresses will ask if you are finished with your plate before taking it away.
Also, who doesn’t want water? I was taught water cures everything, so drink it!
Lillie-Beth’s answer: That has happened to me many times — you go into a restaurant hoping to have a leisurely dinner with friends and the waiters bring out the appetizers and/or salads and the meal right on top of each other. Good-bye to spending time enjoying friends and atmosphere on a night out. Hello to rushing through your meal so the restaurant can seat the next table.
By the time the second group of food arrives, it’s too late to tell the waiter you’re not ready. He or she can’t send it back. So, I think you have to do what feels most natural to you without being rude. If you’d like to keep eating, say something like “Oh, no. I haven’t finished my salad,” then make room for the dinner plate above the salad. If you’re through with the salad, then hand the plate to the waiter.
As for the water cups, I was always taught to turn coffee cups upside down if you didn’t want coffee, but I have never seen that with water. A simple “no thank you” should work when offered water, although I don’t see anything rude about turning the glass upside down.
Helen’s answer: I usually move my salad to my left, so I can reach it better if I want some more. That is where the salad plate starts out when you set the table…on your left. If would be a lot of juggling if you put the main course to the side. Then, for more room on the table, ask the waiter to move the salad plate when you are through.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27414Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17780Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8920UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 8299Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8258Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 8241OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8000Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 6391Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5825Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5287Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients