Sports manners? The Pioneer Woman-Ree Drummond- and 20-40-60 etiquette team answers
QUESTION: Help! Football season is coming up again and my best friend and I (and our families) root for opposing teams that usually play each other during the year. Sometimes we go to the game together or watch it on television.
What are some mannerly ways to approach this? I always seem to get mad when the other team scores and only love my team, but after the game is over, I usually feel bad that I was not as good of a sports fan as I should have been. Tell me how to be a better football fan.
CALLIE’S ANSWER: It is always fun and games! Remember that it is just a game, whether the other person is being a sore winner/loser let them be. Let them look bad! Don’t be the annoying football fan!
Scream, yell, and have fun! GO SOONERS!!
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: It’s really fun to watch a football game when you passionately care about the outcome. Things get intense at our house when a certain team plays, and we love being totally into each play, the players and the final score. That intensity is a good thing when it means you’re loyal to your team and want good things to happen; it’s quite the opposite when you’re wishing bad things to happen to the opposing side.
Is that what happens when you’re with your friend? Do you talk trash about your friend’s team and celebrate opposing players’ missteps, bad plays or worse, like injuries? If so, tone it down and show some respect.
Recognize that those rooting for the other side care as much about their team as you care about yours. Start by finding ways to compliment the other team on a good play (after all, in every game, both sides make good and bad plays).
Be graceful and considerate whether your team wins or loses. Find common ground in the good food, camaraderie and the atmosphere. Enjoy your friendship.
Sometimes it’s a fine line between cheering for your team’s success and gloating over the opponent’s failure. Don’t talk trash when you’re in mixed company that includes fans for both teams. If you have to, leave the snide comments for when you’re alone with fans who are hoping for the same team to win that you are.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24112Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13400Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10660Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10343UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7789Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6928Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6551Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6286Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6076Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4932OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients