20-40-60 Etiquette---How should I have handled a rowdy football fan?
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
By Callie Gordon, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Helen Ford Wallace
QUESTION: Now that college football season is over, my question concerns football etiquette. A know-it-all fan sat three rows behind me during a football game in Norman. He kept screaming at the players and the coaches and used obscenities in his comments. It really affected my enjoyment of the game and usually fans don’t bother me. This went on throughout the game. I gave him several dirty looks, but never did confront him. I don’t think he was drunk, just obnoxious. What should I have done? Can the university help by giving “how to be a good football fan” tips? Or should I have notified security?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: I would notify security, if it is offending you. I am not sure what security would do or if anyone would read the “football tips.” It is hard to be quiet but I wouldn’t say anything. You never know how someone will react, especially at a football game. If these are your season tickets I would say something to the person who sells you your tickets. Maybe they have other options for you. Boomer Sooner!
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: Whether people think in general trash-talking about the opponent is harmless fun or rude behavior, it continues to be a staple in competition these days.
However, bad sportsmanship shouldn’t escalate to the level you describe. When a fan’s behavior gets out of control to the point that it is constant, obscene, scary or seriously preventing others from enjoying the game, then it’s time to enlist some help. I’ve seen horrible fan behavior at football games, including shouting and cussing in front of children and taunting nearby fans of the opposing team. When it gets to that level, dirty looks from surrounding fans aren’t usually enough to quell it, nor is a direct request to stop it. Next time, you’ll probably have to ask a security guard to assess the situation and issue a warning or remove the person from the game. If nothing else, maybe you could request a move to another seat.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 72395Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14464Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8451Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7239How to help tornado victims
- 6453Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6316Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6292Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6021Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5304Details emerge about memorial service for Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5155Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients