20-40-60 Etiquette---I need some lipstick!
To ask an etiquette question, email email@example.com.
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
By Callie Gordon, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Helen Ford Wallace
QUESTION: I was taught never to apply lipstick or comb my hair at the table and that I am supposed to do personal grooming in private and not in front of others. Has that rule changed?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: It’s OK to quickly apply lipstick at the table if you’re with close friends or relatives in a non-business situation, and at a non-deluxe restaurant. In general, personal grooming should be done in private for the simple reason that it can be annoying and it’s tacky. But putting on lipstick without using a mirror and without fanfare is one grooming ritual that can sometimes be performed in front of others. Still, think first! When in doubt, don’t do it, such as when you’re at a business meal or with people you don’t know very well.
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: While the words “personal grooming at the table” conjure up all kinds of gross images, I don’t think a quick application of lipstick qualifies as a problem. Nor does Emily Post, who notes that among close friends in a nonbusiness setting, re-applying lipstick is OK as long as it’s done quickly and without fanfare. As for combing hair, reapplying all extensive makeup or other “personal grooming,” I think that’s best done in a bathroom, away from food at the table and the guests who wouldn’t want to watch.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3630Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3502How to help tornado victims
- 3466Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients