20-40-60 Etiquette---Should I have ordered for myself?
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
By Callie Gordon, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Helen Ford Wallace
QUESTION: I am a single mother and recently went to dinner with a male friend, who ordered for me on our second date. He did not ask what I wanted. He told me he thought I would like his particular choice and ordered anyway.
What should I have said? Should I have protested and said I would order for myself? Or should I have accepted his choices as if he were wonderful?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: HA! I am sorry to laugh, but this must be a generation gap. Did you like what he ordered for you? This has never happened to me but if it did I probably would have changed the order if I didn’t like it.
Next time I would protest and say, “Actually I really thought the __ __ looked good!”
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: This has happened to me before, and when it did, I wasn’t sure what to do either.
I had known my date a long time and knew he meant well: I think he was trying to be kind, act like he thought a gentleman should and treat me like he thought I wanted to be treated. I didn’t want to take that away from him, but I also would have preferred to order for myself. This scenario raises all kinds of prickly issues — What does it mean to be a gentleman? Does ordering for your date make you a gentleman, especially when she’s not even asked for her preference? Or does that action make an independent woman feel like she’s needy and dependent and that her wants aren’t important? (That’s actually how I felt, briefly.) And what does he mean by ordering for her anyway?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 99664Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16608OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13275Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8705Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8419Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8235How to help tornado victims
- 7896Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6964Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 6671Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6451Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients