20-40-60---Etiquette Question and Answers
ETIQUETTE QUESTION: This question came to us during a holiday party.
YOU ASK—WE ANSWER —YOU DECIDE!
Your Question: I love the glitz of the holiday season. The more sequins on dresses, the better. The light-up jangly earrings are my favorites. But, I have noticed that not everyone is wearing the bejeweled Christmas sweaters and the beaded, metallic, shimmering dresses to the parties this season. Am I committing a fashion faux pas or am I really making a holiday statement?
Linda’s answer: (Linda Miller is fashion editor of The Oklahoman and has her own fashion blog called “Fashion Matters” on NewsOk.)
You can still shine and shimmer this holiday season without adorning yourself in head-to-toe glitz. Leave that to the Vegas showgirls. What looks more fresh and modern is a sweater with a beaded collar or a top with sequin straps; crystal earrings that reflect the light rather than light up; a matte sequin dress that’s subtle rather than in-your-face shine.
Bejeweled Christmas sweaters are in a class all their own. It’s not a look I have ever liked, but plenty of women do, and nothing anyone says will change their mind. So, go ahead and make a holiday statement. Just adjust the wattage.
Lillie-Beth’s Answer: I’ll defer to The Oklahoman’s Fashion Editor, Linda Miller, for the real answer to this question, but I’ll give it a shot.
I love the glitz of the holiday season, too, and it’s still there — in elementary school, at least. For Christmas caroling the last day before the fall break, I saw it in full force at my children’s school, where the teachers and staff were decked out. They wore an array of glitter and red and green, which of course the young students loved.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15918Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8813OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6389Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5669Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5503OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4915Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4833Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3560Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3491Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3466As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients