20-40-60 Etiquette---Who should we invite to the wedding?
To ask an etiquette question, email firstname.lastname@example.org
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
By Callie Gordon, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Helen Ford Wallace
QUESTION: My adult daughter is engaged to marry an old friend from high school. This will be her first marriage, but he was married briefly before. My daughter would like to have a large church wedding and reception, and I expect that some of my friends will offer to have parties and showers. The dilemma is that we live in a small town and share some friends with the groom’s family. The groom’s mother is embarrassed that some of those that my husband and I would invite to the wedding and parties already gave wedding presents to her son and his first wife, only a few years ago. How do we handle this?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: Invite the people you want to invite, and try not to stress too much about it. Take it all in stride; this is a happy time for your new son-in-law and daughter! Congratulations, and have fun!
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: Your concern for you future son-in-law and his family is thoughtful and respectful and seems like it will serve as the foundation for a good relationship in the future. However, it is your daughter’s first wedding and a celebration for two people joining for a future together — not a past, except the one they share from high school.
Friends will want to rejoice with the happy couple, and most will keep in mind that it is the first marriage for your daughter. Invite the people with whom you normally would share this occasion, and let them decide whether they want to give another wedding gift. In today’s times, most people have dealt with the realities of divorce, whether they’ve gone through it or supported a family member or friend who has. Given the choice based on the invitation, they can figure out personally what works best for themselves in terms of gift-giving and celebrating the new wedding.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15818Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15704Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11547Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11243'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10839Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7447Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6917Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6738Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6691Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients