Reader asks: How about the dinner tab?---20-40-60 Etiquette
Do you have a question for 20-40-60? Email me at HWallace@opubco.com
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
QUESTION: Last night my husband and I went to dinner with two other couples. The women had decided that would be fun to do, but we did not discuss how to pay the bill. When the waiter brought it to the table, it became very embarrassing since we did not know if we should split the bill (some ate more than others) or if everyone should pay for exactly what they ate and drank. We ended up splitting it three ways, but how should we have handled it?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: It would have been easier to tell the waitress that everyone was going to be separate before you ordered. Since you didn’t request this, the easiest way is to just split the bill. If someone offers to buy the whole dinner, you MUST reciprocate next dinner. It is rude to always let others get the bill. Dinner out is supposed to be a treat; fretting the little things ruins it.
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: If you don’t mention to the waiter ahead of time that the bills will be separate, it’s easier, with less hassle, if all of you split the bill evenly, at the end. If you all know each other well and plan to do it again, the differences are minor and should eventually even out the more times you share meals.
However, if there’s a big discrepancy in what everyone ordered (usually that happens when some order alcohol and others don’t), it’s easy to look at the bill, estimate what you owe and add extra for the tax and tip and to cover any small mathematical errors. You can always say something like, “I had wine, so I will pay for mine and add about $12 more for that,” or, if you were the one who didn’t have alcohol, gracefully suggest, “why don’t we split the food part of the bill and everyone pay for their own alcohol?” Whether you estimate or split a bill, try not to get too caught up in a penny-by-penny breakdown — it’s more important to enjoy time with friends than to worry about a few dollars’ difference in either column on a single occasion.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4026Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3825As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3740OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients