20-40-60 Etiquette---We've got mail
(Thanks, Renee Grannis for sharing insight about wedding showers with 20-40-60 Etiquette. HFW)
Someone showed me the article in the June 10 newspaper reference wedding showers. Thought you might like to know a little of the original reason/history for bridal showers.
Many, many years ago, when a couple were married without parental consent, their close friends would “shower them with gifts” since there wouldn’t be a public wedding and reception. This happened at one celebration (generally after the wedding). This carries forward a couple of the traditions – a shower is not hosted by a family member (since the family didn’t approve of the marriage), people invited to the shower were NOT invited to the wedding (since there was no public wedding/reception), and when a shower is hosted, there is only one (not multiples)
Having said that, our society has changed many of the customs and traditions. Unfortunately, most of the changes were to benefit the bridal couple and not the guests. I have etiquette books back to the late 1800s and follow how some of the customs and traditions have changed over the years.
Anyway, just thought you might like to know.
Master Bridal Consultant
Association of Bridal Consultants
Ethics and Compliance Director
Former Education Director – 19 years
Former Texas State Coordinator – 5 years
Former Virginia State Coordinator
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients