20-40-60 Etiquette---When the invitation says "Business Casual"
QUESTION: I was recently invited to a wedding reception in Oklahoma City. Attire for the event said “Business Casual.”
What does that mean? For men: Slacks or jeans? And silk shirt and jacket, no tie? Golf shirt and jacket, no tie? Casual shirt and tie, jacket? Golf shirt, no tie, no jacket? For women: Slacks and pretty blouse? Slacks or skirt with a jacket? Church dress? Tunic top and jeans? What would you wear?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: NO JEANS! Men, the easiest bet is slacks and a button down. Add a tie if you feel like it, no coat necessary. What is a silk shirt?? No man should have this in his closet, WAY OUT! Women, I would wear a dress. Every woman should know it is better to be dressed up than it is to be dressed down.
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: When I read the words “business casual” and “wedding” mixed up in the same sentence, I see two worlds colliding (office casual Fridays and formal wedding) to produce something that is a step down from formal wear and several steps up from dressing down at the office.
Business casual is an unusual choice of wording for a wedding invitation, but I think if you just keep dressy casual in mind, you should be fine.
As a woman, I don’t think you would go wrong by going for a sophisticated casual look — a frilly dress with dressy sandals or even a cocktail dress; nice slacks and a jacket or a dressy, pretty blouse; or church clothes. It would be hard for me to wear jeans to a wedding no matter how informal the setting is. For men, a coat and tie or a jacket and polo or button-down shirt without a tie would be appropriate, but the men are answering this question, too. (Look for the 20-30-40-50-60 Etiquette Men Answers in the Sunday Oklahoman).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5083Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5032Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4602UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients