20-40-60---Are you ready for the annual Christmas letter?
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
By Callie Gordon, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Helen Ford Wallace
QUESTION: It is time for me to receive the annual Christmas letter from some of my acquaintances. What do you think about people who write all their activities for the year and mail them out with their Christmas cards? Is there a way to opt out of receiving them?
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: I always like to read what my friends and their families have been doing in the last year, especially when the “newsletter” comes from people who I don’t keep up with regularly but still care about.
People can debate whether these newsletters come across more as a brag sheet for overachieving kids or are a good way to connect with loved ones, but I generally enjoy catching up with a family’s successes and mishaps. If the ones you are receiving don’t sit well with you, then just skip reading them and throw them away. You don’t have to tell anyone or discuss it with the senders, although you might not understand what activities they’re talking about the next time you see them.
Or, you could handle this situation harshly, Internet-style, and return the letters with the words “unsubscribe” written across the envelopes or, even, scribbled with the popular Internet phrase “tl; dr” (“too long; didn’t read”). That would solve your problem of having friends who want to share their news with you. If you’d rather stay friends, then I would say nothing to them and enjoy your own newsletter-worthy, holiday memories privately.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17897Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15383Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11506Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11200'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10732Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9276OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8256Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6910Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6624Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6479Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients