20-40-60 Etiquette---Should I honk?
QUESTION: Is it impolite to honk the horn at the car in front of you if it is going too slowly? Recently I followed a car for several blocks and as I wanted to stay in the right lane, I did not pass. The car in front was driving under the speed limit. My road rage really kicked in. Should I have started honking?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: This IS frustrating, and there are SO many bad drivers on the road! Some people think honking is rude, but, sometimes it really is necessary. Although, it makes me mad when someone ZOOMS in and out of traffic! I always think to myself “I hope you get a ticket!” The left lane is the fast lane, if you are not going fast then move over.
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: I hate it when that happens, and we all get frustrated with those “other” drivers (certainly not ever referring to ourselves) from time to time. Honking at a slow driver, however, would probably do little to speed things up. It might even be dangerous, if your honking startles the driver into swerving.
The original intention of using your horn is not to express to other drivers that you hate their driving. Instead, save the honking for a dangerous situation that requires you to alert them quickly, such as if they’re pulling out in front of you, for example. Don’t pile on any more road rage than is already out there; you never know when yours could cause the other driver’s rage to escalate into something worse.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients