20-40-60 Etiquette---It's hard to accept a compliment
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
By Callie Gordon, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Helen Ford Wallace
QUESTION: Why is it so hard to accept compliments? Anytime someone says something nice about me, I find myself protesting what they are saying and then saying something bad about myself.
Is there a polite way to answer a compliment?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: A simple thank you is always a good response!
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: Yes, it’s hard to accept compliments sometimes, but when you offer them to someone else sincerely, do you expect that person to protest the compliment? Probably not. More than likely, you just wanted them to hear something positive about themselves.
It’s OK to smile and say thanks and then enjoy the rest of the conversation. It’s not easy to accept compliments gracefully — sometimes I protest, too, or let the person in on the secret behind the nice thing — but compliments are nice to hear and fun to hand out.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81708Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16515OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12409Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12217Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10403Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9163How to help tornado victims
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 8558Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8505Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients