20-40-60 Etiquette---How can I coordinate gifts?
YOU ASK! WE ANSWER! YOU DECIDE!
By Callie Gordon, Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Helen Ford Wallace
QUESTION: It is probably too late for this year, but is there a way to coordinate children’s holiday gifts so that my daughter does not get four of the same toys from family members? We are a family with several stepparents, and step in-laws, and lots of aunt and uncles who don’t communicate about gift giving. How can I politely “suggest” ideas or “help” with gift selections?
CALLIE’S ANSWER: I think it is OK to give suggestions. “Jane said she would really like a new Barbie doll, if you need some ideas about what she wants for Christmas.” I always love suggestions and ideas!
LILLIE-BETH’S ANSWER: Good question, and I’m sure people struggle with this in all kinds of family situations — grandparents as well as stepparents. It certainly helps if people approach any solution to this dilemma with the idea that the gift-giving is not a competition but a way to help loved ones or brighten their lives at this time of year. If everyone is trying to do what’s best for the recipient, then the situation is easier to work out with less tension.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19471Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14514Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10937UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9667Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8444Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7027Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5625Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5257Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 4924Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4923Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients