'Valkyrie' may go to war with German film
IMDB is reporting that the historical thriller “Valkyrie,” directed by Bryan Singer (“X-Men,” “The Usual Suspects”) and starring Tom Cruise, might have competition from a German film on the same subject.
Based on true events, “Valkyrie” centers on a World War II plot by German military leaders to assassinate Adolf Hitler. The plot was code-named “Valkyrie.”
The Weinstein Co. has acquired the rights for the German film “Operation Valkyrie,” which won the German Television Award in 2004 for the best movie made for German TV, IMDB reports.
According to IMDB, the German film was originally titled “Stauffenberg,” for the name of the Nazi colonel who led the assassination plot. That’s the role Cruise plays in his version for MGM and United Artists.
“Valkyrie” made entertainment news last month when MGM and UA decided to move the film’s release date for the third time. It was originally scheduled for June 27 release, then shifted to a height-of-awards-season October date and finally pushed into a new Feb. 13, 2009, slot. (Sounds like the perfect Valentine’s Day date movie for some history-buff couples I know.)
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients