DVD review: "Mary Poppins 45th Anniversary Edition"
A version of this review appears in Friday’s Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman.
“Mary Poppins 45th Anniversary Edition”
One of Disney’s most charming and beloved live-action musicals, “Mary Poppins” celebrates another anniversary with yet another two-disc special edition.
Set in 1910, the film introduces a magical nanny into the unhappy Banks family. The Banks children, Jane and Michael (Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber), run wild because their banker father (David Tomlinson) and suffragette mother (Glynis Johns) are too busy with their own pursuits to pay their offspring any mind.
When the family’s nanny quits, Mr. Banks searches for a strict replacement, but the children wish for a kindly caregiver. A changing wind blows away all the candidates lined up outside the Banks home and brings Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) flying in with her magic umbrella and carpet bag.
At once fun-loving and no-nonsense, Mary and her jack-of-all-trades pal Bert (Dick Van Dyke) take the children on enchanted adventures, introduce them to colorful characters and gently teach them to be caring.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7545Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7311Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6526UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients