Wayne Coyne talks about the Flaming Lips' Oklahoma City New Year's Eve show
The Flaming Lips perform their first New Year’s Eve Freakout at Oklahoma City’s Cox Convention Center almost a year ago. (The Oklahoman Archives photo)
The Oklahoman‘s Entertainment Editor sat down with Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne to talk about Wednesday night’s The Flaming Lips New Year’s Eve Freak-Out No. 2.
The show will be at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday right in downtown at the Cox Convention Center, 1 Myriad Gardens.
The opener will be Norman-based experimental rockers Stardeath and White Dwarfs Norman-based experimental rock band Stardeath and White Dwarfs. Coyne admits he has taken a “nepotism gone wild” interest in the band since his nephew, Dennis Coyne, is the group’s singer.
Coyne also talked about OKC’s cultural landscape, Flaming Lips Alley, the developing Academy of Contemporary Music at Edmond’s University of Central Oklahoma, and perhaps most exciting for Lips fans, his plans to make the New Year’s Eve show an annual occurrence.
He promised that Wednesday’s show will be the band’s usual visual and sonic spectacle, with costumed dancers, huge balloons, his giant hamster ball, and of course, that gloriously psychedelic music.
To read Gene’s story, click here.
Coyne also sat down with Gene in the NewsOK video studio for a 20-minute talk about the Freakout and a variety of random topics. Check it out:
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients