OSU takes on Oregon tonight in San Diego
Oklahoma State punter Matt Fodge holds the Ray Guy Award. (Associated Press photo)
Oklahoma State fans will be rooting tonight for a big win to cap a big football season.
My alma mater takes on the Oregon Ducks at 7 tonight at the Holiday Bowl in Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, Calif. The game will be televised on ESPN, and it definitely should be worth watching.
Both the Cowboys and the Ducks are 9-3 and boast high-scoring offenses and powerful running games.
OSU has lost three of its last five games, but all three come to tough Big 12 South opponents who were ranked in the top three at the time: Texas, Texas Tech and the University of Oklahoma.
Let’s hope that Mike Gundy has as much good fortune in the Holiday Bowl as a coach as he did as a player. According to the Associated Press, Gundy is the only person to play in a Holiday Bowl and then return as head coach. The Cowboys’ only other appearance in the Holiday Bowl was in 1988, when Gundy completed 20 of 24 passes for 315 yards and two touchdowns in a 62-14 rout of Wyoming.
A win would be great for the program and a fitting goodbye to several talented seniors playing their last game as Cowboys, including tight end Brandon Pettigrew, linemen Jeray Chatham and Tonga Tea, and punter Matt Fodge, who recently won the Ray Guy Award, given to college football’s best punter.
The Oklahoman‘s sports department will have complete coverage of the game at www.newsok.com/sports.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims
- 3653Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3534Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 3111Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients