OSU takes on Oregon tonight in San Diego
Oklahoma State punter Matt Fodge holds the Ray Guy Award. (Associated Press photo)
Oklahoma State fans will be rooting tonight for a big win to cap a big football season.
My alma mater takes on the Oregon Ducks at 7 tonight at the Holiday Bowl in Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, Calif. The game will be televised on ESPN, and it definitely should be worth watching.
Both the Cowboys and the Ducks are 9-3 and boast high-scoring offenses and powerful running games.
OSU has lost three of its last five games, but all three come to tough Big 12 South opponents who were ranked in the top three at the time: Texas, Texas Tech and the University of Oklahoma.
Let’s hope that Mike Gundy has as much good fortune in the Holiday Bowl as a coach as he did as a player. According to the Associated Press, Gundy is the only person to play in a Holiday Bowl and then return as head coach. The Cowboys’ only other appearance in the Holiday Bowl was in 1988, when Gundy completed 20 of 24 passes for 315 yards and two touchdowns in a 62-14 rout of Wyoming.
A win would be great for the program and a fitting goodbye to several talented seniors playing their last game as Cowboys, including tight end Brandon Pettigrew, linemen Jeray Chatham and Tonga Tea, and punter Matt Fodge, who recently won the Ray Guy Award, given to college football’s best punter.
The Oklahoman‘s sports department will have complete coverage of the game at www.newsok.com/sports.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27414Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17780Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8920UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 8299Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8258Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 8241OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8000Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 6391Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5825Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5287Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients