CD review: Bela Fleck, "Throw Down Your Heart"
From Friday’s Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman.
Bela Fleck “Throw Down Your Heart, Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 3: Africa Sesssions” (Rounder Records)
Banjo virtuoso Bela Fleck took his open, creative mind and skilled fingers to Uganda, Mali, Tanzania and several other countries to make music with African performers in “Throw Down Your Heart,” the third of his occasional series “Tales from the Acoustic Planet.”
The Grammy winner and his crew effectively capture and convey the earthy beauty and diversity of African music with the 18 engaging tracks. The album offers a mix of traditionals, originals penned by Fleck’s collaborators and new songs co-written by the banjo picker and his African cohorts.
In the equally absorbing liner notes, Fleck says he was inspired to travel to Africa after learning of his instrument’s origins there. He also tells interesting stories about the recording process and the meaning of each song in the notes.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17700Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13947Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11336Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10871'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10364Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10094Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6825OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6766Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6423Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6208Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients