Friday Featured Tracks
The songs that have been on my brain the most this week:
- “Circles,” Colourmusic, from their 2008 album “f, monday, orange, february, venus, lunatic, 1 or 13.”
- “All Together Now,” The Beatles, from the 1969 soundtrack to the animated film “Yellow Submarine.”
Besides The Beatles’ obvious influence on Colourmusic’s indie pop-rock sound, there is another commonality between these two songs. Both of them have a “1, 2, 3″ count in their lyrics. The counting lyrics make these two songs favorite sing-along songs for my 2-year-old son, Gabe the Babe.
He’s been singing along with these two songs quite a bit in the past few days for a couple of reasons. First, my dad recently introduced him to the trippy animated movie “Yellow Submarine,” and like his older brother before him, Gabe loves the “mod,” musical adventures of the Fab 4 through the Sea of Science, Nowhereland and Pepperland.
The opening lines of “All Together Now,” a children’s song penned by the magical combination of John Lennon and Paul McCartney, are “1, 2, 3, 4/Can I have a little more/5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10/I love you.”
As for Colourmusic, there bright music is my ideal soundtrack for spring, so I’ve been listening to the Stillwater Brit-pop’s album quite a bit, particularly in the car, where it helps my commute move a bit better. Part of the lyrics of “Circles” are “1, 2, 3/1, 2, 3/on 2, 3, let’s all come to tea.” Again, the rhythmic counting prompts my toddler to chant along enthusiastically. OK, so it gets me singing along, too.
And singing along with my 2-year-old to a couple of really great songs, that’s a good thing.
So, all together now …
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients