Box office report
G.I. Joe proved a box-office hero over the weekend.
The Paramount movie based on the venerable Hasbro action figure line topped the weekend ox office with $56.2 million debut domestically, according to the Associated Press. “G.I. Joe” also made $44.3 million overseas for a worldwide total of $100.5 million.
“G.I. Joe” follows Paramount’s “Transformers” sequel as the latest toy story to top the box-office charts.
After critics drubbed ”Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” earlier this summer, Paramount skipped critic screenings for “G.I. Joe” and put the movie in theaters sight-unseen by most reviewers.
Critics who went to see “G.I. Joe” after it opened gave it at best mixed reviews; many called it a mindless actioner but some found it fun and entertaining. You can read our own Matt Price’s review by clicking here.
The foodie’s delight ”Julie & Julia,” starring Meryl Streep as legendary chef Julia Child and Amy Adams as famed food blogger Julie Powell, opened with a tasty No. 2 with $20.1 million. “G.I. Joe” was a hit among young males, while women 35 and older were the main audience for “Julie & Julia,” according to the AP.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24778Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14485Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10221UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9929Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 8118Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7280Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6506Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6361Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6228Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 5696OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients