3D's Need to See: 90's Teen Cult Classics Edition
My movie recommendations for you this week are two cult teen classics from the middle 90′s that are known as much for their music as their plots: 1995′s ”Empire Records” and 1993′s “Dazed and Confused.” Both featured fabulous casts, great soundtracks, and endlessly quotable dialogue.
“Empire Records” is the story of an independent record store and its eccentric employees attempt to save it from being taken over by a chain. However, the plot of the movie hardly matters because it is just an excuse for strange situations, snappy dialogue and great songs. The cast of the movie is truly amazing. It featured future big time movie stars Liv Tyler and Renee Zellweger (singing on screen for the first time, years before “Chicago”). It also included future CBS stars Anthony LaPaglia (“Without a Trace”), Robin Tunney (“The Mentalist”), and the common link between the two films this week, Rory Cochrane (“CSI: Miami”).
I have always really enjoyed the movie itself, but in the pop culture world the movie has often been underrated in favor of the soundtrack. It featured hits by such nineties bands as The Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, The Cranberries, and Sponge. In addition, the movie features songs by such greats as AC/DC and Dire Straits (not to mention a Gwar video). It is important to note that the Remix version available on DVD is different than the original release and features several scenes edited back into the film, which is a little strange if you are used to the original version like I am.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3632How to help tornado victims
- 3582Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3172Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients