Book review: "American on Purpose" by Craig Ferguson
From Sunday’s Life section of The Oklahoman.
“American on Purpose” is humorous, poignant, uplifting
Craig Ferguson demonstrates the same easy intimacy he often uses on his late-night TV show and never lets silly jokes get in the way of strong storytelling in his humorous, often heartbreaking and ultimately uplifting memoir “American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot” ($25.99, HarperCollins).
With a knack for descriptive details, the comedian/musician/writer/TV personality first chronicles his tough childhood in his native Scotland, where he grew up in the Glasgow suburb of Cumbernauld. He disputes a recent ranking of the town as the No. 2 worst in the United Kingdom because there’s no way the top-rated city on the list could possibly match his hometown for sheer badness.
With a steady pen, the 47-year-old recounts his topsy-turvy life’s journey: his phase as a punk-rock drummer, ill-fated adventures in alcoholism, stand-up comedy debut as the oddly named character Bing Hitler, failed marriages and affairs, successful stint in rehab, TV breakthrough on “The Drew Carey Show” and his unlikely 2005 casting as the host of CBS’ “The Late Late Show.” He handles each topic with such wry frankness, it’s hard to imagine he’s held much back.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3633Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3584How to help tornado victims
- 3499Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients