Box office report for Nov. 30, 2009: "Twilight: New Moon" shines on
“The Twilight Saga: New Moon” continued to shine at the box office over the weekend, taking in another $42.5 million to top the charts for a second straight week.
The real-life football drama “The Blind Side” also scored a second weekend touchdown with $40.1 million, again coming in at No. 2 behind “New Moon” but signficantly closing the gap. The film tells the inspirational story of Baltimore Ravens tackle Michael Oher, who played in the Ravens’ Sunday night overtime victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.
“New Moon” raised its domestic total to $230.7 million after just 10 days. That’s nearly $40 million more than the franchise’s first film, last year’s “Twilight,” took in during its entire 20-week run. The movie’s worldwide gross stands at $473.7 million, according to the Associated Press.
The “Twilight” movies star Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner and adapt Stephenie Meyer’s best-selling four-book series about a teenage love triangle among a human girl, a vampire and a werewolf.
After the frenetic fan frenzy of the opening weekend, this weekend’s take for “New Moon” represented a steep 70 percent drop from the movie’s $142.8 million opening.
But ”The Blind Side” actually saw its haul increase 18 percent from its $34.1 million first weekend, according to the AP. ”The Blind Side” lifted its 10-day total to $100.3 million and has generated Academy Awards buzz for Sandra Bullock, who plays socialite Leigh Anne Tuohy, who adopted Oher and gave him a chance at an education and success.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15647OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15447Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10056'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 9335Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8950Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7906Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 7604Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7402Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7043Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7042Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients