Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne performs at last year’s New Year’s Eve Freakout. (Photo by John Clanton/The Oklahoman Archives)
Happy New Year! It’s New Year’s Eve, and there are many festivities planned around the state for today and throughout the weekend. Here is the special New Year’s 2009-10 edition of the Weekend Warmup (for Dec. 31, 2009-Jan. 3, 2010). For more events, go to www.wimgo.com:
- Celebrate the start of 2010 with psychedelic music, confetti cannons and a giant balloon drop at The Flaming Lips New Year’s Eve #3, featuring Stardeath and White Dwarfs, at 8:30 tonight at the Cox Convention Center in downtown. After the midnight countdown, the Lips and Stardeath will return to the stage to perform Pink Floyd’s famed album “The Dark Side of the Moon.” Click here to read Gene Triplett’s story on the event. Information: www.coxconventioncenter.com.
- NORMAN — Listen to the legendary B.B. King at 8 p.m. Friday at Riverwind Casino, 1544 W State Highway 9. Information: 322-6464 or www.riverwind.com.
- MIAMI – Mark the end of the year with local country singer Keith Anderson, along with Cowboy Troy, Della Rose and Boogie Fever dance band, at Buffalo Run Casino’s New Year’s Eve Celebration at 7 tonight. Information: www.buffalorun.com.
- Take in the children’s area, Tornado Alley Rollergirls bout and performances by The Non, The Uglysuit, PowerHouz and more at Opening Night 2010 from 7 to midnight tonight at 10 venues in downtown Oklahoma City. Click here to read George Lang’s story on the event. Information: www.artscouncilokc.com.
- Hear Cody Canada, Mike McClure, Stoney LaRue, Jason Boland and more at the sixth annual Hangover Ball at 6 p.m. Friday at the Wormy Dog Saloon, 311 E Sheridan. Information: 601-6276 or www.wormydog.com.
- STILLWATER – Party into 2010 with Jason Boland & the Stragglers at 8 tonight at Tumbleweed Dance Hall, Lakeview and Country Club roads. Information: www.tumbleweedconcerts.com.
“Untitled (landscape)” by Joe Andoe
- See the works of Oklahoma-connected artists Shelley Horton-Tripe, Joe Andoe and Marko Krakohvil from 1 to 10 p.m. Friday during the seventh annual New Year’s Day Opening at JRB Art at the Elms, 2810 N Walker.
- View new exhibits opening at other galleries in the Paseo Arts District from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday and noon to 5 p.m. Saturday during the monthly Paseo Gallery Walk. Information: 525-2688 or www.thepaseo.com.
- Watch American Indian dancing at the Oklahoma City Pow-Wow Club’s Annual New Year’s Dance at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Centennial Building at State Fair Park. Information: 919-1572 or www.okstatefairpark.com.
Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey
- TULSA – Spend New Year’s Eve listening to Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey and The Panda Resistance at 8 tonight at The Eclipse, 1336 E Sixth Street. Information: www.myspace.com/eclipsetulsa.
- Take advantage of the last weekend for Downtown in December, which includes the Devon Ice Rink, Chesapeake Snow Tubing at the Brick and the new Automobile Alley Lights on Broadway. The festivities end Sunday. Information: www.downtownindecember.com.
- THACKERVILLE – Hear the Zac Brown Band at 8 p.m. Saturday at WinStar World Casino. (I’ll have an interview with Zac Brown Band fiddler Jimmy De Martini here Friday.) Or catch Earth, Wind & Fire in concert at 9 p.m. Friday at WinStar. Information: (800) 622-6317 or www.winstarworldcasino.com.
Hosty Duo (The Oklahoman Archives photo)
- NORMAN – Celebrate the New Year with the Hosty Duo at 10 tonight at The Deli, 309 White Street. Information: www.thedeli.us.
- Bring in the New Year with Little League Hero, Oida and Green Corn Revival at 8 tonight at 51st Street Speakeasy, 1114 NW 51 Street. Information: www.myspace.com/51speakeasy
- Watch the Oklahoma City Thunder take on the Utah Jazz in a New Year’s Eve game at 7 tonight at the Ford Center, 100 W Reno. Information: www.thunder.nba.com.
Aelbert Cuyp, “Herdsman with Cows”
- See the special exhibit “The Dutch Italianates: 17th-century Masterpieces from Dulwich Picture Gallery, London” Saturday or Sunday before it closes at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, 415 Couch Drive. The final day for the exhibit is Sunday. Information: www.okcmoa.com.
- Ring in the New Year with special shows featuring comic Rahn Ramey at 7:30 and 10 tonight at the Looney Bin Comedy Club, 8503 N Rockwell Ave. Information: www.loonybincomedy.com/ok.
- TULSA – Catch the sixth (and possibly final) Copy Copy Holiday Extravaganza, also featuring Algebra, Popular Culture and Lizard Police, at 6 p.m. Friday at The Marquee, 222 N Main. Information: www.myspace.com/themarqueetulsa.
Cut pounds of stomach fat every week by using this 1 weird old tip.