"Avatar" passes "Titanic" on the worldwide box office charts
James Cameron has passed himself on the worldwide all-time box office charts
According to the Associated Press, 20th Century Fox reported this week that the director’s new sci-fi spectacle, “Avatar,” has passed his 1997 shipwreck saga “Titanic” to become the highest-grossing film worldwide.
As of Monday, “Avatar” brought in $1.859 billion at the box office, passing the $1.843 billion worldwide record set by “Titanic.”
“Titanic” remains the highest-grossing film domestically at $600.8 million, but “Avatar” is close behind.
“Avatar” has been No. 1 at the box office for six straight weeks with a domestic total of $554.9 million. It overtook the Batman sequel “The Dark Knight” on Saturday to become the second highest-grossing film domestically.
“Avatar” has also earned $1.3 billion in international ticket sales, smashing the $1.24 billion mark previously set by “Titanic.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15647OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15447Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10056'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 9335Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8950Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7906Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 7604Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7402Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7043Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7042Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients