CD review: "Crazy Heart" soundtrack
From Friday’s Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman.
Various artists “Crazy Heart: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Deluxe Edition” (New West Records)
A cannily chosen combination of classic country, twangy blues and rootsy original songs bestow vital authenticity on “Crazy Heart,” the engrossing cinematic saga of washed-up, booze-ravaged country singer Bad Blake (Jeff Bridges).
Co-producers T Bone Burnett, a 10-time Grammy winner, and Stephen Bruton, a respected Texas guitarist/songwriter who died of cancer last year, capture the spirit of the film by tapping country pioneers like Buck Owens, Kitty Wells and Waylon Jennings. (Jennings’ “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way,” one of my all-time favorite country hits, perfectly suits the storyline.)
Country-blues songs from George Jones, Lightnin’ Hopkins and the Delmore Brothers also convey Bad Blake’s struggle to cast off his inner demons and find redemption.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22062Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13856Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 11034Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10900UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7641Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7472Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6309Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5621Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5179Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients