Oklahomans competing in several Grammy categories
Above: Checotah native Carrie Underwood is shown backstage at the 2009 Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. Underwood is nominated for two Grammys and will perform during a special tribute to the late Michael Jackson during Sunday’s 2010 Grammys. Below left: Oklahoma City-born musician Matthew Followill of rock band Kings of Leon performs last year at the Clive Davis pre-Grammy party in Beverly Hills, Calif. Below right: Tulsa native Charlie Wilson is nominated in two R&B categories at this year’s Grammy Awards. (Associated Press file photos)
From Friday’s Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman. Contributing: The Associated Press
Musicians with Oklahoma ties vie for Grammys
Carrie Underwood, other artists will aid in tribute to late Michael Jackson during Sunday’s 7 p.m. telecast
With Kings of Leon, Carrie Underwood, Charlie Wilson and more among the nominees, Oklahoma will be represented in categories crossing several musical genres at Sunday night’s Grammy ceremonies.
The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards will air live from 7 to 10:30 p.m. Sunday from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on CBS.
Rockers Kings of Leon boast four Grammy nominations, including nods in the cross-genre record and song of the year categories for their hit “Use Somebody.” The band also is nominated for best rock song and best rock vocal performance with vocals for “Use Somebody.”
Alice in Chains, which includes Jerry Cantrell, who has an Atoka ranch, is nominated for best hard rock performance for “Check My Brain,” from the band’s album “Black Gives Way to Blue.”
Several Oklahoma stars will vie for awards in the country music categories. Checotah native Carrie Underwood is nominated for best female country vocal performance for her chart-topper “Just a Dream.” She will compete in the best country collaboration with vocals category for her rendition of “I Told You So” with Randy Travis.
In addition, Underwood will join fellow previous Grammy winners Celine Dion, Jennifer Hudson, Smokey Robinson and Usher in a special 3-D tribute to the late Michael Jackson during the show.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients