CD review: The Texas Sapphires, "As He Wanders"
From Friday’s Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman.
The Texas Sapphires “As He Wanders” (Ike Records)
With creative songcraft and two distinctive vocalists, The Texas Sapphires glitter a little brighter than many among the burgeoning cache of honky tonk groups on the Texas music scene.
The Austin band will celebrate the release of its new album, “As He Wanders,” with a show at 8 p.m. Saturday at Route 66 Bowl’s Silver Dollar Saloon, 3810 NW 39 Street. Doors open at 7 p.m. For more information, call 946-2717 or go to www.66bowl.com.
If you go, get ready to shuck the bowling shoes for your dancing shoes, as “Teardrops or Rain” and “190” are ideal old-fashioned two-stepping songs. “Riddled Days” gracefully waltzes with poetic lyrics like “Time was I’d drink/The river like the sun/Burn those wheat fields/To desert for fun.”
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4013How to help tornado victims
- 3642Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3374Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients