Movie review: "How to Train Your Dragon"
From Friday’s Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman. 3 1/2 of 4 stars.
‘How to Train Your Dragon’ breathing fire
The creative pairing behind the 2002 Oscar-nominated animated sci-fi feature “Lilo & Stitch” allow the fantastical new animated adventure “How to Train Your Dragon” to soar far higher than anticipated.
Loosely based on Cressida Cowell’s 2003 children’s book, “How to Train Your Dragon” glides over some familiar cinematic territory, with its father-son, boy-meets-wild, man-vs.-beast storyline. But “Lilo & Stitch” writer-directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois use quirky good humor, surprising plot twists and wonderfully expressive animated characters to elevate the film beyond the standard clichés.
“How to Train Your Dragon” also boasts stunning visuals, particularly the gorgeous and exhilarating dragonback flying scenes, which are definitely worth the extra cost for 3-D tickets.
Set on the rugged island of Berk, the movie follows the misadventures of teenage Viking Hiccup (voice of Jay Baruchel). Unlike his chieftain father, Stoick the Vast (Gerard Butler) and the other villagers, Hiccup isn’t a bold and brawny warrior capable of fighting the marauding dragons that regularly wreak havoc. Rather, he is scrawny, clever, quick-witted and unfortunately prone to disaster.
An obvious disappointment to his father and laughinstock to the village, Hiccup desperately wants to prove his Viking mettle by killing a dragon, but he is relegated to apprenticing with his father’s best friend, the crippled and chronically frank Gobber (Craig Ferguson).
But during a fateful nighttime dragon raid, Hiccup sneaks away from the anvil and uses one of his often-malfunctioning slingshot cannons to bring down a Night Fury, the most mysterious and feared of the interestingly diverse dragon breeds.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients