James McAvoy to play Professor X in "X-Men: First Class"
James McAvoy in “Wanted”
Sexy Scottish actor James McAvoy has signed on to star as Professor X in the prequel film “X-Men: First Class,” according to my pal Matt Price of Nerdage.
Directed by Matthew Vaughn (“Stardust,” “Kick-A–”), the film is expected to focus on the early days of mutant leaders Professor X and Magneto and the rift that arose between them. The movie is set for a June 3, 2011, release.
It is unknown if McAvoy will shave his head to play for Professor X (AKA Charles Francis Xavier), the telepathic mutant who becomes the leader and mentor of the powerful good guys, the X-Men. Patrick Stewart played the professor in the first three “X-Men” films and in a cameo in the spin-off “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.”
With the role, McAvoy is stepping into his second comic book-based film franchise. He played the lead role of Wesley Gibson in 2008′s “Wanted,” based on Mark Millar and J.G. Jones’ comic book series, and is set to reprise the part in “Wanted 2,” also due out in 2011.
McAvoy has starred in a wide range of other films, including “Atonement,” “The Last King of Scotland,” “Becoming Jane,” “The Last Station,” “Penelope” and “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17652Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13467Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11283Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10735'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10251Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10005Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6673Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6352Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6100Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients