Garth Brooks: "Unanswered Prayers" has stood the test of time, inspired new TV movie
Oklahoma music megastar Garth Brooks feels his 1990 chart-topping single “Unanswered Prayers” has stood the test of time.
“I’m a big James Taylor fan, and James described going through soundcheck and here comes ‘Fire and Rain’ and you’re kind of rolling your eyes, you know, when you’re playing it. But then when you play it for people and they hear it, it’s like they’re hearing it for the first time, which brings back the first time you ever heard it yourself. And you know, you get all the (goose) bumps and all that stuff. And yeah, this song stayd very, very true,” Brooks told me in a recent phone interview from Los Angeles, where he was appearing on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” to promote the forthcoming TV movie based on “Unanswered Prayers.”
The telefilm “Unanswered Prayers” will debut at 8 p.m. Monday on Lifetime Television. Brooks and Lisa Sanderson executive produced the drama for their Red Strokes Productions. (The company also is named for one of his ‘90s singles.)
The song, featured on Brooks’ blockbuster album “No Fences,” tells the story of a married man who runs into his old high school crush at a hometown football game. He recalls how he prayed for God to put him together with that girl, but when he looks at his wife, he realizes the Lord was right to not answer his pleas.
The TV movie follows those lyrics and stars Eric Close, Samantha Mathis, Madchen Amick and Patty Duke.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients