Video: Elton John-Leon Russell documentary opens Tribeca Film Festival; Kings of Leon doc "Talihina Sky" screens tonight
The 10th Annual Tribeca Film Festival launched Wednesday night with the world premiere of director Cameron Crowe’s Elton John and Leon Russell documentary “The Union.”
The documentary chronicles the British pop star’s efforts to reconnect with and revive the career of the Oklahoma music icon, who was John’s idol in the early days of his career. England’s “Rocket Man” and Oklahoma’s “Master of Space and Time” hadn’t spoken in 38 years when John reached out to the Tulsa Sound pioneer.
Following the free, outdoor screening of “The Union” set at the World Financial Plaza, not far from where the World Trade Center Towers once stood, John gave a live performance including his classic hits “Tiny Dancer,” Your Song” and, of course, “Rocket Man.”
Since John had never before been filmed in his composing process, “The Union” is billed as an unprecedentedly candid portrait of one of the world’s most popular and successful entertainers.
“I’ve never had a song filmed when I’m writing it, but Cameron’s such a friend, I trusted him,” John told MTV News in the video posted above. “New York City is my favorite place to play. I’ve played 62 shows at Madison Square Garden, I’ve played at Radio City, Central Park, Shea Stadium, Fillmore East. It’s been a very important city in my musical career and probably the most exciting city in the world.”
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16166Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12480Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11351'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11233Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11000Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10503OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7225Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6948Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6833Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6790Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients