Reba McEntire, Blake Shelton to put on Oklahoma benefit show for tornado relief
For Oklahoma country superstars like Reba and Blake Shelton, home is definitely where the heart is. The news of Atoka County’s recent tornado disaster prompted the stars to reach out to the affected area.
Reba and Shelton have decided to host the “Tornado Relief Concert” on May 26 at the Choctaw Event Center in Durant. The show is being organized in partnership with the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and Choctaw Casino Resort as a way to help their hometown friends, according to a news release.
Reba was born just outside of Kiowa, which is approximately 30 miles away from the greatest devastation from the twister.
“A lot of people lost a great deal in this disaster and it’s particularly close to us because we both consider Oklahoma home,” said Reba. “We wanted to do something and let the people in Oklahoma know that we love them and we’re praying for them during this difficult tragedy.”
Shelton was born in Ada and currently resides in Tishomingo, less than 50 miles from the Atoka County border.
“Oklahoma defines who I am and seeing the effects this disaster has had on my neighbors, I knew I had to do something,” said Shelton. “Reba and I have a lot of love for this state and we wanted to do what we can to help. This place is my home and these people are family to us.”
The April 14 tornado hit Tushka in late evening. There were two confirmed deaths, and more than 40 people were injured, reports my excellent colleague Bryan Painter.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 3568Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3561Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3556How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients