"The Hobbit" films get names and release dates
Oscar-winning “Lord of the Rings” filmmaker Peter Jackson’s long-awaited two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” has a pair of names and release dates.
New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. and MGM announced this week that “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will be released Dec. 14, 2012. The second film, “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” is to be released Dec. 13, 2013.
The films have suffered repeated delays over studio funding problems, a threatened actors’ boycott and ulcer surgery for Jackson, reports the Associated Press. Shot consecutively, the two-part project began filming in March in New Zealand.
The 3-D “Hobbit” films are prequels to Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, which won a combined 17 Oscars around the turn of the 21st century.
“The Hobbit” films will star Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Mikael Persbrandt, Stephen Fry and Chickasha-born actor Lee Pace.
In addition, “LOTR” alums Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Andy Serkis and Orlando Bloom will reprise their roles in the prequels.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6008UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 5965Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4858Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients