Video: Javier Colon wins "The Voice"
A version of this story appears in Thursday’s The Oklahoman.
Javier Colon named “The Voice”
The smooth-voiced family man narrowly defeated indie folk singer Dia Frampton, who represented Oklahoma country music star Blake Shelton’s team on the hit reality TV show.
Javier Colon was named the inaugural winner of the hit reality TV singing contest “The Voice” Wednesday night during the show’s hour-long season finale.
The smooth-voiced family man from Stratford, Conn., narrowly defeated indie folk singer-songwriter Dia Frampton, 23, of St. George, Utah.
“The voting was extremely close,” host Carson Daly said during the finale. “It was so close, in fact, that the top two were within only 2 percent of each other.”
The other finalists on the NBC competition were gritty rocker Beverly McClellan and fiery soul singer Vicci Martinez.
“I don’t even know where to begin other than to say that the three women behind me are absolutely awesome and it was a pleasure to be here with them,” Colon said, choking up after his name was announced. “I want to thank everyone at home who believed in me and voted for me. Thank you all and thank you to my family.”
Colon, a 34-year-old husband and father of two, will receive a recording contract and $100,000 prize.
The show’s contenders trained during the 10-week series under the tutelage of a celebrity “musician coach.” Frampton worked with Oklahoma country music star Blake Shelton, Colon represented Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine’s team, McClellan received coaching from pop belter Christina Aguilera, and Martinez trained with Gnarls Barkley soulman Cee Lo Green.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients