"Amazing Racer" Jet McCoy, live Western music, rodeo demos mark National Day of American Cowboy at National Cowboy Museum
Meet “Amazing Race” contender Jet McCoy, hear live music by Gary S. Pratt and Picket Wire, Jim Garling and A Bar Bunkhouse Band and see the John Wayne film “The Cowboys” at the National Day of the American Cowboy celebration from 9:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. today at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, 1700 NE 63.
The museum joins venues across the nation today in hosting a special event to honor the iconic American Cowboy.
“The cowboy is our nation’s greatest ambassador throughout the world, representing the most admired virtues of the American people,” said Don Reeves, McCasland Chair of Cowboy Culture, on the popularity of the cowboy, in a news release.
Museum visitors can expect extra entertainment in addition to the cowboy culture and art routinely served up in the museum’s galleries and gardens.
Visiting the museum to sign autographs will be Oklahoma’s own cowboy and “Amazing Race” contestant Jet McCoy.
Music entertainers will be cowboy singer/songwriter and past Western Heritage Award winner for Outstanding New Artist Gary S. Pratt and Picket Wire of Davis, along with Western music artists Jim Garling from Guthrie and the A Bar Bunkhouse Band from northeastern Oklahoma.
Additionally, three screenings of John Wayne’s feature film “The Cowboys” will be shown at 10 a.m., 12:15 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Starting at 10 a.m. is the introduction of the Miss Rodeo Oklahoma Scholarship Pageant contestants, followed at 1:30 p.m. by the announcement of the newly crowned royalty. Seventeen young ladies are vying for titles in four age divisions ranging from age 4-24. The 2010 and 2011 pageant titleholders will sign autographs from 2 to 3 p.m.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16829OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15402Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12656Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11727Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9454Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7777Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7628Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7109Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6861Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6397Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients