Smithsonian Channel to rebroadcast "Wanda Jackson: The Sweet Lady with the Nasty Voice" Saturday
The Smithsonian Channel will rebroadcast “Wanda Jackson: The Sweet Lady with the Nasty Voice,” a great documentary about the Oklahoma rockabilly legend, at 7 p.m. Saturday, according to NewsOK TV blogger Melissa Hayer.
Here is the film’s description:
The story of the first lady of rockabilly and one of Elvis’s girlfriends – rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Wanda Jackson. As Rolling Stone said: “Jackson was the first to bring a woman’s intuition into the boy’s club of early rock-n-roll.” The film follows the Grammy Award nominee and legendary singer as she performs in Maine, Austin, New York City, Oklahoma City, Washington, D.C., and overseas in Sweden and Finland.
The “Inside the Music” documentary features interviews Elvis Costello, Patti Scialfa, Bruce Springsteen, Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead and Slim Jim Phantom of The Stray Cats. It also chronicles the long efforts of these rock stars and others to get Wanda Jackson inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Maud native and longtime Oklahoma City resident was ushered into the rock hall in 2009.
The Smithsonian Channel will be premiering three new “Inside the Music” documentaries in October: “Phil Collins: Going Back to Detroit,” “Real World of Peter Gabriel,” and “Hip Hop: The Furious Force of Rhymes.” Click here to see when they will air.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients