Video: Toby Keith officially makes "Red Solo Cup" a single
It’s no surprise considering the number of fans eager to toast it, but Oklahoma country music superstar Toby Keith has officially made the boozy party anthem “Red Solo Cup” his latest single.
According to a news release, Keith’s Show Dog-Universal has made “Red Solo Cup” the most remarkable and commercially successful new country single in recent memory. An album cut from Keith’s recently released No. 1 album “Clancy’s Tavern,” the song became a viral video sensation even before the album’s debut. Radio stations pulled audio straight from YouTube and began playing “Red Solo Cup,” and now it’s officially the second single from “Clancy’s Tavern.”
While the album’s first single “Made In America” shot to No. 1, it’s successor has an unparalleled head start. Already the No. 1 downloaded country song, the video has surpassed 4 million online views and is the No. 1 requested video on CMT. As it becomes an official single, “Red Solo Cup” is already receiving airplay on three-fourths of reporting country stations, according to the release.
The “Cup” is sweeping through popular culture in other ways, too. The hit Fox television show “Glee” will feature the song in its Dec. 6 episode. “Red Solo Cup” has been used as a music bed in spots for the new Tim Allen sitcom” Last Man Standing”. Major media hailing the tune have included the Boston Herald, Village Voice, Entertainment Weekly, Slate, AOL and NPR.
The song is so popular, crowds have continued singing it long after Keith finishes his performance of the song during is “Locked & Loaded” tour stops. In fact, the Norman has even played the song twice at shows in an attempt to satiate his fans’ thirst for the tune.
In a recent phone interview, Keith told me that during the standing-room-only dates on his “Locked & Loaded Tour,” the crew started dressing up in giant red Solo cup costumes and doling out the mini versions of the cups to the frenzied crowd. Keith is taking his tour to Europe starting Sunday with a date in Edinburgh, Scotland.
During our chat, the Norman resident jokingly called “Red Solo Cup” “the most profound, intelligent thing I’ve ever done.”
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients