Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts among Oklahomans competing, performing on 2012 ACM Awards
From Friday’s Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman.
Oklahomans competing, performing on Sunday’s ACM Awards
For the second straight year, Blake Shelton and Reba McEntire will co-host the show, airing live from Las Vegas on CBS.
Oklahomans will have at least one star to root for in almost every major category during Sunday’s Academy of Country Music Awards.
Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, Vince Gill, Thompson Square and Rascal Flatts will represent the Sooner State when the 47th annual ACM Awards air live from 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday on CBS. For the second straight year, Oklahoma natives Shelton and Reba McEntire will co-host the show at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Shelton, who lives in Tishomingo, received this year his first nomination for the academy’s top prize, entertainer of the year, along with Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift and Kenny Chesney, who earned a leading nine nominations. For the fifth year, the entertainer award will be fan-voted, with balloting continuing until the third hour of the broadcast at www.VoteACM.com.
In addition, the Ada native will contend for male vocalist of the year and will perform a duet with Lionel Richie of the music icon’s classic ballad “You Are.”
Lambert, Shelton’s wife and fellow Tishomingo denizen, also will perform on the show along with competing for the female vocalist title. Her “Four the Record” is nominated for album of the year, an award she has won twice previously, with her 2007 release “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” and her 2009 effort “Revolution.”
Underwood will vie for the female vocalist honor, too, while she and Paisley share a vocal event of their year nomination for their chart-topping duet “Remind Me.” In addition, the Checotah native will sing during the broadcast.
Keith’s “Red Solo Cup” is more than just a cup, it’s a two-time nominee. The rowdy party anthem is up for single record of the year, earning the Norman resident a double nomination as the song’s artist and producer. The star-studded viral video, which has notched more than 13.5 million YouTube views, also got a video of the year nod, and Keith and “special surprise iconic Las Vegas performers” will play the song during the show.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6021UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients