Toby Keith is proud of the Oklahoma City Thunder, his daughter Krystal
A former semi-professional football player, Oklahoma country music star Toby Keith is known for his love of sports, particularly of University of Oklahoma gridiron action.
The Norman resident also has developed pride and a rooting interest in the Oklahoma City Thunder. The fledgling NBA franchise is taking on the Los Angeles Lakers at 9:30 tonight at the Staples Center in the third game in the Western Conference semifinals. The Thunder lead the series 2-0, and tonight’s game is airing on ESPN.
“It’s great. Watching TV the other night, seeing the crowd outside as well as in was pretty amazing. Great thing for Oklahoma City to have that much excitement. It’s wonderful, and I think they’re gonna do real well to be honest. They’re scrappy,” Keith said today at the groundbreaking for the Toby Keith Foundation’s OK Kids Korral, a home-away-from home for pediatric cancer patients and their families on the south end of the OU Health Sciences Center.
Keith’s 25-year-old daughter Krystal, an aspiring country singer due to release her debut album this year, sang the National Anthem before the opening game in the series Monday night at Chesapeake Energy Arena. She might have been a good luck charm for the Thunder because the hometown heroes routed the venerable Lakers by 29 points.
“She didn’t sing at the second game and it was closer,” Keith said with a grin. “She did a good job. … She’s got her album done, and we’re trying to get it all mixed up and wrapped up. I’m excited for it. I think it’ll do well.”
Keith is continuing to raise funds for the OK Kids Korral, hosting a private dinner and auction tonight and teeing off his Ninth Annual Toby Keith & Friends Golf Classic Saturday at Belmar Golf Club in Norman. Look for more coverage of the OK Kids Korral groundbreaking Saturday in The Oklahoman, on NewsOK and here at BAM’s Blog.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients