Wednesday Video Spotlight: Tulsa saxophonist Grady Nichols tours in support of new CD "Destinations," playing Charlie Christian Festival in Oklahoma City
Tulsa saxophonist Grady Nichols will be among the performers this week at the 27th Annual Charlie Christian International Music Festival in Oklahoma City. Along with jazz, blues, soul and hip-hop artists playing outdoor concerts Friday and Saturday, the festival features two historical exhibits, two jam sessions and a gospel show Sunday to close the event.
Nichols will perform Saturday at the festival, which he has played every years since at least 2004.
“I’ve got great memories of playing at Charlie Christian. I remember playing with Tom Braxton and then Wayman Tisdale came and sat in. That was a really cool moment. We’ve opened for George Benson, played with Kirk Whalum,” Nichols told me in a recent phone interview from Tulsa.
“We always come to the festival with something new … so this’ll be a completely new and different performance than what we did last year.”
Released April 30, his sixth album “Destinations” offers plenty of variety, bringing a jazzy, cosmopolitan energy with first single “London Baby!,” going country with “Tulsa” and channeling a reggae vibe with “Beachside.” The album also includes instrumental covers of Journey’s classic rock ballad “Faithfully” and Keith Urban’s country chart-topper “Only You Can Love Me This Way.”
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22062Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13856Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 11034Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10900UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7641Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7472Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6309Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5621Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5179Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients