deadCenter Film Festival announces award winners
Organizers of the deadCenter Film Festival announced the event’s 2012 award recipients on Saturday evening during an awards ceremony that took place immediately before the free, outdoor screening of “Under African Skies” on the Great Lawn at the Myriad Gardens.
“This year, deadCenter Film Festival’s submissions were judged by 25 individuals from across the country, ranging from film critics and distributors, to academics and filmmakers,” said Festival Director Kim Haywood in a news release. “Our winners truly represent independent film voices from around the world.”
Here are the winners:
Best Narrative Feature, “See Girl Run”
“See Girl Run” is what happens when a 30-something woman allows life’s ‘what ifs’ to overwhelm her appreciation for what life actually is. Disregarding her current obligations, she digs into her romantic past in hopes of invigorating her present.
Best Documentary Feature, “Beauty Is Embarrassing”
Raised in the Tennessee mountains, Wayne White started his career as a cartoonist in New York City. He found success as one of the creators of the Pee-wee’s Playhouse TV show which led to work designing some of the most iconic images in pop culture. The movie features Matt Groening, Mark Mothersbaugh, Todd Oldham, Paul Reubens, Gary Panter, Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Feris and many more.
Special Jury Narrative Feature, “Somebody Up There Likes Me”
“Somebody Up There Likes Me” chronicles 35 years in the life of Max (Keith Poulson), his best friend Sal (Nick Offerman) and a woman they both adore, Lyla (Jess Weixler). The trio stumble through mandatory but seemingly unfulfilling entanglements, at weddings, funerals, hospitals, eateries, divorce courts and the tool shed. A deadpan fable about time sneaking up on and swerving right around us.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients