First poster for "Oz the Great and Powerful" debuts
Director Sam Raimi may not be helming Spider-Man movies these days, but he’s hardly been resting on his laurels.
Walt Disney Studios today unveiled the gorgeous first poster from Raimi’s next movie, “Oz the Great and Powerful,” a live-action fantasy that explores the origins of the titular character of L. Frank Baum’s 1900 novel “The Wizard of Oz.”
“Oz the Great and Powerful” is due in theaters March 8, 2013, but it’s not the only new movie adaptation coming of “The Wizard of Oz,” which of course, already was made into the 1939 classic film starring Judy Garland. According to EW.com, we’ve got an animated film featuring the voice of “Glee’s” Lea Michele and a CG/stop-motion version from the co-director of “Corpse Bride” coming, too.
Of course, the origins of the story’s Wicked Witch of the West and the Good Witch of the North already have been explored on the stage in the blockbuster musical “Wicked,” with Oklahoma native Kristin Chenoweth originating the role of Glinda.
It will be interesting to see how many trips down the Yellow Brick Road film fans are willing to take.
“Oz the Great and Powerful” stars James Franco, Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Zach Braff. Here is the synopsis:
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5867Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 5666Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients