"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" to be split into 2 films, set for 2014 and 2015 release
In a completely unsurprising development, Lionsgate has announced that it plans to split “Mockingjay,” the third and final novel in Suzanne Collins’ “The Hunger Games” trilogy, into two separate films,” reports EW.com.
“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1″ is set for Nov. 21, 2014, release, with “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2″ following on Nov. 20, 2015.
The second film in the blockbuster franchise, “Catching Fire,” will open in theaters Nov. 22, 2013.
As previously reported, Lionsgate this week confirmed that Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman has been cast in “Catching Fire” as Plutarch Heavensbee, the clever Head Gamemaker overseeing the 75th Annual Hunger Games, AKA the Quarter Quell.
By dividing “Mockingjay” into two parts, Lionsgate continues the lucrative trend started with the finales of the Harry Potter and “Twilight Saga” franchises.
Released in March “The Hunger Games,” the first film in the series, has made more than $404 million domestically and currently ranks as the No. 2 movie of 2012, behind only the super-blockbuster “The Avengers.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26051Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17463Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8771OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8410Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8211UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7989Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7271Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6160Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5551Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4750Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients