Box office report for Aug. 6, 2012: "The Dark Knight Rises" No. 1 for third straight week
“The Dark Knight Rises” dominated the box office for the third week in a row, making another $36.4 million over last weekend.
The final chapter in Christopher Nolan’s epic Batman trilogy has now made nearly $355 million domestically alone, according to the Associated Press.
Warner Bros. head of distribution Dan Fellman told the AP he wasn’t surprised by the film’s strong showing in its third week. The three-quel only dropped 41 percent compared to the 43-percent drop in Week 3 that its record-setting predecessor “The Dark Knight” experienced in 2008. He also said the film is getting back on track to perform at its expected pace following the opening-night shooting in Aurora, Colo., that left 12 dead and 58 others injured.
“The support from audiences across North America has been outstanding,” Fellman told the AP. “The movie speaks for itself, and the unfortunate tragedy that took place hurt everyone. We’re obviously very moved by the events that took place.”
“The Dark Knight Rises” has now set an IMAX record, Fellman told the AP, with nearly $48 million of the film’s gross coming from the large-screen format. Nolan shot more than 40 percent of the film in IMAX with the intention of having it projected that way.
“Total Recall,” starring Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel, in a new take on the thriller that provided Arnold Schwarzenegger with one of his best-loved actions roles in 1990, opened in second place with $26 million, according to the AP.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 25487Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17319Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9536OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8741Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7985Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7943UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7139Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6051Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5454Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4574Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients